“Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy”
We inherit 23 chromosomes from our mother and 23 chromosomes from our father. These chromosomes are composed of DNA and contain genes that code for specific traits. However, inherited genetic mutations and abnormal numbers of chromosomes can lead to genetic disorders.
You have been assigned a specific human genetic disorder to research and report on by answering the questions listed below. Your assigned genetic disorder can be found in the attached document below the questions.
Please note: If your answers are based on a genetic disorder other than the one you have been assigned, you will not receive credit for this assignment. Also, all answers must be in your own words – you will NOT earn credit for directly copying and pasting text from websites.
1. Name of your assigned human genetic disorder (ex: Down syndrome).
2. What are the signs and symptoms associated with this genetic disorder?
3. What causes the disorder? (In other words, what is the problem with the DNA, genes, or chromosomes?)
4. How common is this disorder? What population(s) is/are affected? (Hint: look for terms such as “prevalence” or “incidence”)
5. What are the available treatment options for this genetic disorder, if any?
6. List the website URL for all sources you used when answering these questions. (you must have at least tworeputable sources)