Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care, Joyceen S. Boyle & Margaret M. Andrews. (2015), 7th edition.
- Chapters 14 – Cultural Competence in Ethical Decision Making. Click here to download the chapter 14
- Chapters 15 – Nursing and Global Health. Click here to download the chapter 1
This week you will examine how to be a patient advocate for all individuals, particularly those who are from a different culture than your own.
- First, consider an ethical dilemma that you have encountered in your own nursing practice—choose one that was caused by a misunderstanding between people from different cultures. Describe that situation clearly.
- How did each group or individual perceive the dilemma? (Present both sides, objectively.)
- Identify the conflicting values and belief systems held by each group.
- What data was missing—what information did the health care providers not have about the patient’s culture?
- Next, define culturally congruent care.
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.
Unless otherwise specified, all the written assignment must follow APA 6th edition formatting, citations and references. Click here to download the Microsoft Word APA 6th edition template. Make sure you cross-reference the APA 6th edition book as well before submitting the assignment.
Number of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.